Apr 14, 2008

My Way Song: A Killer

Here in the Philippines, Videoke is one of the best way to enjoy, bonding with friends, and to celebrate. Wherever you go in the Philippines, you'll see a Videoke Bar and even on the beach, most of the cottages have Videoke machine, to where you can insert a 5-peso or 3-peso coin(s) and then you can select the song that you want to sing. Videoke also is the most common thing that Filipino does when they are drinking with friends, relatives, or even acquaintances.

One of the most common song that you can hear being sang in Videokes is "My Way", a song that was originally sang in French and titled "Comme d'habitude", then Paul Anka wrote a translation in English and popularized by Frank Sinatra, that was first released on 1969. But it was always been a talk here that the person who sing the song "My Way" in a videoke bar would most likely be killed. It is not just a talk because it truly happens. We may consider it as co-incidences but the weird thing is they're killed because they sang the song "My Way".

Well, it was not yet explained why it happens but someone I knew was almost killed because he sang this song, that's why I had an idea from him about the reason for this irony. He said that the lyrics of My Way seems to challenge everyone who is listening to it.

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, Ill say it clear,
Ill state my case, of which Im certain.

Ive lived a life thats full.
Ive traveled each and evry highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, Ive had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, Im sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

Ive loved, Ive laughed and cried.
Ive had my fill; my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside,
I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that;
And may I say - not in a shy way,
No, oh no not me,
I did it my way.

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows -
And did it my way!

If you analyze it properly, the message seems to tell us that he'd been here and there and made this and that but still "He Made it His Way", and if you won't be making it your way so you're not a man. And then whoever heard that song (who is maybe some sensitive and guilty person who hit home by the lyrics) would be mad, thinking that the singer was pertaining to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment