May 11, 2015

The fight of the century

...or is it?!

A week past since the so-called fight of the century. I didn't think it was. And based on commentaries I've been seeing around, most, if not all, thought of the same thing. Yes, I had to wait a week before posting this. I didn't think I would but why not?! I have my opinion and I have a blog to write it on.

I'm no boxing expert. And I'd be lying to say I've watched too many fights to compare. I've seen most of Pacquaio's fight, but that's about it. I rarely talk about boxing, otherwise. But his fight with Mayweather, I knew he wouldn't win it. Why? Floyd Mayweather was too smart for Pacman. But I wouldn't say that Mayweather is a better boxer than Pacman though.


For me, boxing is a fight game. Though they could score more with more landed punches, but for me it's more about how much impact a punch was. In other words, we'd love to see a knockout! Score-wise, yes, Mayweather got it. He is a smart player, but again, not a good boxer. He is too defensive. His offense, not so much. He only got offensive a couple of times during the 12-round bout but most of his score were when he hugs. Pacquiao, on the other hand, wasn't very careful. He was going for the knockout but he's struggling to catch up with Mayweather's running. Not that he was trying. I think he was more annoyed and amused at the same time. I know we were!

In all fairness to Mayweather, it wasn't all his fault that his recent fight was a flop. Pacquiao's energy in the ring has gone down compared to his fights years ago. Seeing him fought before, I know he could break a skull. Also, Pacman's reach was a lot shorter than Mayweather's. I know, some Mayweather's fan (if there are any left) would say that these are just excuses that we came up with. But this is my opinion, I am entitled and sticking to it. 

Peace. I'm out! 😜

No comments:

Post a Comment